Monday, August 17, 2009

Motorcycle Miles: One more reason I love my old bike

My wife told me to go jump in the lake yesterday, so I did.


However, on my way to Port Bruce (north shore, Lake Erie) I jumped off my bike once or twice to nab a photo, and wrote a few notes while waiting for my lunch to arrive at the New Sarum Diner (the oldest diner in Elgin County) to help explain why I love motorcycling on my ’94 Virago.

Here are the first words in my notebook: The air was alive.

After a wet, cool July, the hot and hazy days of August are infusing the soil and plants with much-needed energy, producing furious growth in fields of corn and soy and roadside ditches filled with wild carrot, chicory, buttercups and lilies.




["Corn on one side, hot sweaty golfers on the other side of the road.": photos by GAH]

From atop my bike I could almost hear the corn grow as millions of rows of yellow tassels flashed by - like countless pages being flipped by a giant thumb.

I was nearly lifted off my seat by the rich smell of life.


As I rode into a shaded valley I could feel the temperature drop and millions of wild carrot tops created a mile-long fragrant stream, as if for my eyes and nose only.

A motorcyclist’s senses are usually more alert than the average driver’s because the tarmac is closer to his face (one reason of many), but during yesterday's hottest hours my senses fired on all cylinders.

Yes, the jump in the lake helped as well.

***

Have you noticed lately many rich smells in the air as well?

Is it because spring was delayed by wet, cool weather?

Maybe it’s the golfers?

.

No comments: