Sunday, August 2, 2009

Two miles to go in my first marathon - I’m still smiling

In 1974 I was, officially, a short distance jogger.

Three miles, three times per week - that was plenty.

I wore a headband to keep long hair out of my eyes and tried hard to match my knee-high socks with my cotton shorts. And as I said in an earlier post “it wasn’t a good look for me.”

However, 21 years later, I ran my first marathon and called myself a real runner.

“Excuse me, real runner on your left,” I’d say, as I approached pedestrians from behind.

Though clothing styles changed and my collection headbands never left my sock drawer (even though the paisley one looked pretty slick) I kept one habit from my past while training for and completing my first marathon in 1995: I asked my oldest son to join me.

At age three and a half David was a tireless, uncomplaining runner and as he matured he developed into a sub-three-hour marathoner. My own goal, to break four hours, would be a walk in the park for him.

We entered different events on race day and after my son finished his 10 K he ran the marathon course backwards, looking for me in the groups of runners he quickly past.

I recalled our meeting in a short book (Twenty-Six Point Two) written in 1996:

May 7, 1995, Mile 22, Toronto Marathon; I was looking desperately for a place to pee.

My stride still seemed quite strong, but I was certain I wasn’t going to finish my first marathon without a bathroom break. As I turned the corner from Danforth Avenue onto Carlaw, I saw a portable-john and my son David at the same time.

“How are you doing Dad?” he asked with a grin.

“Gotta pee,” I replied. I slammed the door abruptly behind me. No time to talk. Runners have priorities.


Too abrupt?


["Two miles to go": photo by PAHarrison]

For sure.

But trust me. Had the Queen of England been sitting inside the john I would have forced her to leave.

David and I joined forces shortly thereafter and the last four miles are a big and happy part of our running history together. I couldn’t have finished without him.

Well, maybe I could have, but it wouldn’t have been as memorable.

.

No comments: