Monday, September 21, 2009

From the Workshop: Ten GH birdhouses coming down the line

The GH (single or duplex) is based on the JR, circa 1946.


[The JR is pretty, eh. In my humble opinion, so was my last batch of cedar bird boxes]

(Go to: Google -> Images -> JR birdhouse; you will find more pictures and plans for the JR.)

JR was a rich young fellow and used teak for the body, aluminum for the roof, and chromium screws to hold the two together. Boxes built in 1946 will look almost as good today as they did 63 years ago.


My latest patch are made from rescued pine and cedar and will last until 2039, at least. I’ll be 90 years old. If the paint is chipping off, sue me.


Today, holes were drilled and sanded, and if I have time before heading off to Fenelon Falls at 3 - 4 p.m., I’ll add a coat of primer to 8 of the GHs.


I’ll add linseed oil and a titch of maple stain to the last two, and they’ll last until 2045. If not, you know what to do.

.

No comments: