Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Letter to the Editor: Are you smarter than a bag of pucks?

Canadians want rights and freedoms but...

some don’t want those who use them to run for public office.

Sounds rather selfish to me.

This from today’s London Free Press:

If Michael Ignatieff has lived and worked abroad for over 30 years, does that mean he has likely paid little or no Canadian income tax until his recent return to run as federal Liberal member of parliament? Signed E.R. dow

Anyone? Anyone? Got the answer?


["Are you smarter than a bag of pucks?"]

I would imagine Mr. Ignatieff has to pay income tax in the country in which he made his income. So would any other Canadian citizen, I suppose, who, uses the rights and freedoms afforded him/her under Canadian law to work in another country for a time.

Is E.R.’s philosophy that you aren’t a Canadian fit for public office if you don’t pay income tax in Canada all your life? So, anyone fit to be a politician shouldn’t ever see the world?

Citizens’ rights are stripped away because you were paid in rupees, yen or some other coinage?

Get a grip, E.R.

Go after bigger fish. There’d be more money in the Canadian pot if the current PMO wasn’t so huge.

***

What if I wanted to work in New York to make hockey pucks for the Maple Leafs? And the Leafs won the Stanley Cup using my pucks. Could I still run for office when I got back?

In some regions I’d be crowned King. Right?

.

No comments: