Monday, October 19, 2009

Link and Learn: The price of oil brings some confusion

Today I could buy one barrel for $78.53. Tomorrow? Who knows.

Click here - The Price of Oil at Oil Change

(Where would I put one barrel of oil? My workshop is full. The Annex is over-crowded too).

The price is up a bit from last week, and when I read ‘consumers may see a bump upward in pump prices but only a slight one, experts believe, because gas supplies are greater than what they usually are at this time of the year and demand is still low due to the recession’ I get confused.

(Yes, it’s true, I confuse easily. My VCR periodically shows 00:00, sometimes 12:00, other times the correct time plus one hour. I have no idea what time my TV thinks it is. Good thing I own a watch. It’s around here somewhere).

But if the supply is a bit high shouldn’t prices be a bit lower?

And if demand is still low shouldn’t prices not 'bump upward'?

Where am I?

***

If we hit peak oil (mentioned in this week’s column and online tomorrow here), and most things we touch are in some way connected to our dependence upon oil, should our city invest in an airport cargo hub?

.

No comments: