Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Live Small & Prosper: Clotheslines don’t get me off the hook

“One thing that would take some of the heat out of all the talk (re energy from wind turbines, coal, nuclear plants etc.) is public education about the benefits of energy conservation,” I said during the ride home from the Bruce Peninsula on Sunday.

Lower energy use would lower the need for projects with so many pros and cons and endless debate attached.

I’m partly right, but public education isn’t enough. Public participation is needed too. And much more.

Sure, I stopped using the dryer several years ago, hang my wet clothes beside my hockey equipment from three clotheslines in the basement or for the birds to use as target practice on the two lines over the back deck - but I’m not off the hook. I’m sure, when it comes to carbon emissions, I haven’t made much of a dent in the per capita numbers in Canada that will surely lead to more climate change and instability.


["Sorry about the underwear shot but they'll be dry soon": photo GAH]

And my resolve to never buy a leaf blower, though making my neighbours very happy, is a drop in the bucket.

According to The Suicidal Planet, “a wide gap exists between public understanding of climate change and the adequacy of the response to it.

“This gap reflects a disturbing failure of government to communicate the significance and urgency of the issue.

“It also reflects an unclear and confusing picture painted by the media, large parts of which are not accountable to the long-term public interest.”


And concerning the general public? We’re generally addicted to energy-intensive lifestyles.

I recommend you look for The Suicidal Planet (even though I think it sounds more like homicide to me) and read what the author says about the role of government, the media, business and the general public.

Hint: None of us has got it fully right just yet.

***

Tired of experts? There are worse things than being tired.

.

No comments: