Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Ollie and Me: Score one for the two-year old

Ollie entered the house this morning while I was indulging in a favourite post-Thanksgiving activity, i.e., eating toasted squash seeds.

Maybe he’d like to try some, I thought as he tossed his coat on a chair.

While spelling out a new word atop a cedar chest we practiced our letters. He got them all, and enjoyed adding 3,000 more seeds to the mix.


I ate a few.

“These are so good,” I said. “Want to try some?”

“I don’t eat seeds,” Ollie replied.

I ate a few more.

“They’re crunchy and tasty.”


["A true contrarian": photos GAH]

“I don’t eat seeds.”

While eating a few more I again realized my grandson is a contrarian, just like his Nanna, and I should try a new angle.

“Don’t eat any of my seeds,” I said.

Ollie, soon to be three, stopped playing and looked at me thoughtfully, and I felt I had him this time.

“No. I don’t eat seeds,” he said.

And so far today, he has been true to his word.

***

He’s one smart cookie, my grandson.

.

No comments: