Thursday, October 8, 2009

Zoom w a View: At the risk of offending a few readers...

Allow me to say that once per month I enjoy a trip to the Dorchester dump with my friend Don.

While there, Don looks for items he can turn into art projects and I essentially look for scrap lumber that can fairly easily be turned into birdhouses and other items.


["Anything look interesting?": photos by GAH]

Today I rescued 3 pieces of cedar (6 - 8 birdhouses wouldn’t be a stretch) and 1 small piece of barn board (3 roofs).

Off the top of my head I’d say that 83.5% of urban Canadians wouldn’t consider doing what Don and I do. And most of the remaining 16.5% wouldn’t visit a dump very often.

I feel the monthly trip is a positive experience beyond the fact that my birdhouse hobby costs me very little.


As I’ve watched the mountains of lumber, metal, broken glass and discarded computers grow, I’ve not only become a bit more careful about my lifestyle but have thought of a few projects I’d like to try using bits of rescued metal. (My gosh, there is so much out there!)

Stay tuned. I may have something ready by Christmas.

***

No, I’m not expecting my wife to be impressed.

Surprised? Maybe.

.

No comments: