Wednesday, November 4, 2009

If it’s a church bazaar I hope there are baked goods

There’s a notice on the church door across the street.

When I saw it yesterday I thought, I hope they're holding a bazaar soon.


["I hope there will be a bazaar": photos GAH]

On a day when I’m not too busy would be nice. Nicer still if on that day there are homemade cookies and breads sold at a low price.

I tasted the best bread ever in 1963 or '64. A loaf of it sold for 50 cents and was made by Mrs. Blackburn, a plump, white-haired woman who wore rumpled flower-print dresses whenever she visited the grocery store where I worked. (I was 13 or 14-years old, was paid 50 - 55 cents per hour and will safely say the bread was worth every penny).


["I'll have to get closer to the church door"]

I can close my eyes and still taste it.

If there are baked goods I’ll go, no matter what else I have on the proverbial plate.

If there’s a bazaar.

.

No comments: