Monday, November 23, 2009

It might be 117. Maybe 118...

I’ll say there could have been as many as 119 consumer confidence polls conducted in the last 30 days (e.g. “Do you feel confident? Are you spending money? Do you know Christmas is coming and Sears is counting on you?”) and guess what?

Here’s one more.

"Canadians continue to cut their spending on clothing, footwear, accessories and entertainment as the Christmas season approaches... but retailers are going to be better off than they were this time last year.”

In other words, we’re adopting tighter spending habits but we’re not as Scrooge-like as we were this time last year.

So, for those that care, there you have it.


["No window shopping for me"]

Me? I didn’t read much past the headline - ‘Majority of Canadian families shrink spending.’

Or say much more to myself than, good. We just need to live small, save our money, pay off debt and be kind to our neighbours.

Sears can sink or swim without my help.

***

Hey, I’m no Scrooge. I just need a long rest from a 60-year-old materialistic lifestyle.

I’ll be in the shed.

.

3 comments:

bobbie said...

Well, I'm glad to hear more of us are being more cautious about spending. I'm still pushing for "Black Friday" here in the states to be "Participate by Not Participating" day so far as shopping goes.

G. Harrison said...

Hi bobbie,

we do have a group trying to organize a 'no shopping day' here in London (the group is related to the 'Black Friday' cause) but it will take a few years to catch on.

I think that by the time we go through another recession or two we'll be ready to live small, save money, pay off debt. But numbers of 'savers' is growing, slowly.

Keep well,

Gord

G. Harrison said...

Bobbie, I like the tone of Participate by not Participating. Sounds like the flip side of 'take a rest by resting!'

Cheers,

Gord