Saturday, November 7, 2009

My first CPP cheque arrived! I think I’ll spend it on...

... Snow tires.

Cheque in. Cheque out. So easy.

I wish all of my financial decisions were as easy.

Sure, I still wonder how my car knew that my first pension cheque arrived last Thursday morning and how it developed a leak in the left rear tire later that afternoon, but at least I’d been thinking for awhile it was about time for new tires anyway.

Other matters related to my money aren’t quite as straight-forward.

There’s the matter of our sizable and growing provincial debt here in Ontario.


Do we continue to spend money we don’t have right now in order to stimulate the economy? Or make drastic cuts to programs?

It’s a tough call, and confusing.

Same thing federally. Spend more, cut more? My mind spins.

But I don’t want to turn off my brain and just retire to the workshop to make another set of shelves. I’d like to know if our municipal, provincial and federal governments are on the right track.

I’m kinda nosey that way.

And I want to know if people have the right information about their own personal finances too. These things are related.

How does one find out about such matters? There are many things more important than the economy, I know, but now that I’ve got new tires on the car I have time on my hands.

No money... but time.

***

I could always just build another birdhouse but I feel we’re in the middle of a gigantic fight and I want to see who’s winning.

.

3 comments:

Jane said...

The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away, usually at the same time!
But the good news is another cheque will come next month, and the month after until....

G. Harrison said...

the next one is spent too! and the roof needs fixin!'

i feel a poor old country and western song comin' on.

"Me and my money soon parted,
And I'm sittin' here broken hearted."

Cheers!

Lost Motorcyclist said...

My very first CPP cheque is coming at the end of this month. It's sure to stimulate my economy.

But about stimulating the country's economy, some stimulations are a good investment, some are frivolous. For example repairing roads that need repair is a stimulus and also an investment. Giving everybody in Canada $100 to blow at Tim Horton's in donuts and coffee is probably not a wise investment long term, though it could be called a short term stimulus. For me, getting a new roof or snow tires is an investment, but buying a fancier car is not.