Monday, December 7, 2009

From the Workshop: Rescued lumber is stacking up

I keep saying yes to ‘used’ lumber, even boards that people walked all over many, many years ago.

A friend recently offered 15 old boards from his attic.

“I think they’ve been up there since the house was built. Some even have square nails in them. Want the lot?”

Twist my arm, I thought. They’re mine!


["Rescued lumber becomes birdhouses": photos by GAH]

Yesterday, I delivered them to my son’s attic so we could walk all over them (just as others had done in the distant past) while adding more support to his slightly sagging roof.

While drilling screws to attach my boards to ceiling joists my son said, “Dad, there are a few old boards in the corner, probably used to walk on when they put in insulation. Want them when we’re done?”


“The pile of lumber in my shed keeps growing but twist my arm,” I said.

***

Rescued lumber becomes birdhouses. Birdhouse sales pay for motorcycle insurance and tanks of gas. The motorcycle takes me down country roads. Country roads lead to barn board.

See where I’m heading?

.

No comments: