Monday, December 7, 2009

Global warming and climate instability are changing our language

A friend (about 45 years of age) dropped over to the house this morning and said, after I opened the front door, “It’s snowing.”

I looked out to the street and saw a bit of snow falling, but because I grew up in small-town Ontario during the 1950s and ‘60s, a place and time when ‘it’s snowing’ typically meant at least another 3 - 4 inches of the white stuff, I was not prepared to agree.


I thought, it’s not snowing. It’s only thinking about snowing. This is 'here today and gone tomorrow' snow, not real snow.


Then I thought, I’m getting old!

Stink. Thanks to climate change I’m not even on the same wavelength as a 45-year old.

***

Hello, my name is Gord.

I was born in 1949.

Do you understand what I’m saying?

.

No comments: