Monday, December 14, 2009

Iceberg B17B is ‘going rogue’ faster than Sarah Palin

I’m cheering for iceberg B17B, the iceberg that broke off the Ross Ice Shelf (Antarctica) more than 10 years ago and is now - approx. 4,500 kms later - about 1,700 kms southwest of Australia.


[Click here to read newspaper article]

I’m not cheering for it because it is twice the size of Manhattan. I mean, anything - no matter the size - that falls off Antarctica because of global warming won’t elicit a thumbs up from me.

I’m just thinking (and silently cheering), the closer it gets to Australia the more it will be in the news and the more people will see a concrete example of what happens while we leave our carbon emissions unchecked.

Aussies are in the top three (along with Canada and the US) when it comes to emissions per capita and anything that gets them to see the wisdom of dialing their lifestyles back a bit is worth a cheer in my book.


And surely to goodness, the iceberg will wake up a lot more people than Sarah Palin.

.

No comments: