Monday, December 28, 2009

Morning Rant: Glam by any other name is still a shallow trend

Inwardly I cringe whenever I open the HOME magazine found inside The London Free Press on Saturday because, no matter that per capita, household and national debt is continually rising, HOME and similar inserts across the land keep pushing, pushing, pushing homeowners toward the deluxe life because, of course, they deserve it.

‘A touch of glam’ said the cover of the Dec. 26 edition of HOME, followed by ‘transforming your home into a luxe escape from drab reality is an easy, affordable dream, trendwatcher Janis Wallace reports.’

Cringe.

We should dream about our homes? Transform them into luxe escapes with glam? Our reality is drab?

Should I even bother to look at the article?

Though the pursuit of glam sounds like the shallowest trend on the face of the earth I turn a page or two and read the inside headline:

‘Bling it on’

Cringe.

Opening paragraph:

‘Basking in bling isn’t just for fashionistas. Fashion-forward homes also are starting to show some flash and dash as glam style takes off as a top trend.’

Glam style is taking off? I must have been in my workshop when the countdown started and blast off occurred.

To be fair, I’m a cynic.


[Click here to see original photo site]

I’ve seen so many trends come and go (corduroy, flannel, plaid, polyester, leather, silk, cotton - and I’m just talking underwear here) that any mention of a new one prompts a red light to flash inside my little round head.

“Will this new trend last a week before we’re told to switch to something else?”

“Will I just learn how to use the rotary phone before it’s taken from my hands?”

“Will any decor I buy stay in fashion longer than the time it takes to pay down my Mastercard bill?”

To be fair again, the article mentions such things as ‘you don’t have to redo your (whole) house,’ and ‘(do) just small amounts,’ and ‘you don’t have to break the bank,’ all in cautionary or recessionary tones.

Like, bling it on but not ‘til you’re broke. Or, luxe it up but just a little, not like the last 60 years.

In my opinion, I’d rather see people follow the trend toward austerity and live small, reduce spending, pay down debt and save money for tough times ahead.

Because if you think reality is drab now, wait ‘til personal, household and national debt (and the high costs of global weather-related damage) grow even more.

.

No comments: