Saturday, December 5, 2009

Neighbourhood squirrels getting fatter by the day

Here in Old South one can find the fattest and boldest squirrels in the city of London.

They stare at me from atop my neighbour’s fence as if I’m of no concern, perhaps only looking at my hands or pockets to see if there is any hint of a treat for them.


No, I don’t come bearing treats. They’re fattening up for winter very well indeed without any help from me.

In fact, winter will be late arriving.

Thanks to global warming and climate instability our temperatures are quite mild compared to, for example, the 1970s.


["Sniffing the grass - for treats?": photos GAH]

The squirrel sniffing the grass in my yard is too young to remember the snow storms we used to enjoy or endure (depending on which side of the snow fence one stands).

While he sniffs, I’ll continue to hope for at least 18 inches of snow, as a sign that Mother Earth can still scratch up a real winter every once in awhile.

***

Am I alone in hoping for a foot and a half of snow?

.

No comments: