Saturday, December 5, 2009

Pass the hammer, please. Yeah, and some nails

Over coffee at The Red Roaster this morning (one more reason I love living in Wortley Village) my wife and I talked a bit about our plans for the day.

I said that I might assemble birdhouses after a bit of computer time because I have almost two dozen individual stacks of wood piled up on different surfaces in the workshop.


While my wife shared a few words about her own plans, my fidgety mind took me instantly to my crowded workbench and I saw myself tap, tap, tapping nails into scores of pieces of lumber using one of my two favourite hammers (and - honestly - not a nailer and compressor from Canadian Tire to speed up my work).


["My two favourite hammers are ready for action": photos GAH]

My body actually shifted gears.

Instead of wanting to continue to sit and relax with my wife, dark roast in hand, I strongly felt I needed to get up and walk home so I could start to work.

I then actually stood up as if to say, it’s time to go.

Thank goodness my wife wasn’t offended.

I think after mentioning her own plans she was happy to get on her way as well.

Good thing we sometimes think and act alike.

***

Yup, I dodged a bullet and - alive and well - can soon retire to the shop.

Does a “come on, let’s go” feeling ever come over you and get you into trouble?

.

No comments: