Wednesday, January 13, 2010

From The Workshop: Free project feeds the birds

After assembling two large birdhouses on Monday afternoon I looked at the clock in my workshop.

5 p.m.

I thought, if I hurry, I can build a feeder and hang it up Tuesday morning.


["The roof is supported by century-old rescued lumber": photos GAH]

Bits and pieces of free, rescued lumber, leftover from the birdhouse project, were scattered about the shop, and because I had built a few in the past the new feeder fell together pretty quickly.

Only one wrinkle.

I wanted a 15 degree slope on the roof and cut the angle on the wrong side of one piece two times before getting it right.

Don’t hurry, I said to myself. Take your time. It’s easy. Get it right.

But I have to hurry, I said. C St. is on in 20 minutes.


["The male cardinal takes a turn; Ollie plays lookout": GAH]

Once assembled, it was taken indoors where I added four hooks to the roofline.

Birds found it on Tuesday - a pair of cardinals were the most colourful - and grandson Ollie now plays ‘lookout’ about every 10 minutes.

***

Don’t throw out those bits of scrap lumber.

Can they become a feeder?

.

No comments: