Thursday, January 28, 2010

From The Workshop: Hey, bird feeders take no time at all

It still surprises me when someone says, “Could you make me one of those?”

I was making two new bird feeders the other day in the shed and a friend asked me to make one for him.


["They are so easy to make - try white cedar": photos GAH]

(My younger ‘starving-artist’ brother needs one out back of his new apartment/art studio on Dundas St., and if I’m going to set up equipment to make one, I might as well take a few more minutes and make two or more, go into business and earn my fortune. Right? Sorry, I digress).

“I really like the design,” he said.

And how could he not I ask you?

But, they’re so easy to make.

I thought, why doesn’t he simply rescue a bit of lumber and make his own? Fer Pete’s sake.

“And you’re sure the squirrels can’t get at it?” he asked, interrupting my thoughts.


["Free from squirrels - so far"]

After crossing my fingers behind my back I said, “If you keep it 6 feet off the ground and 6 feet from any pole or fence, you should be okay.”

And I’ll be okay making another and another after that, if need be, because I realize very few people have a workshop or the tools or the time to fiddle around like I do.

So, I’ll just shut up, make more feeders and count my many blessings.

***


["How about some custom cedar trim, eh?"]

I sold my friend on a ‘custom’ model, i.e., with cedar trim.

And you all know what ‘custom’ means, right?

That’s right. I earn my fortune 1 extra buck at a time.

.

No comments: