Saturday, January 2, 2010

It Strikes Me Funny: Next column is not for Liberals only

... unless you’re a dyed in the wool member of a political party that would shun you to death for reading my column at any time.

Knowing Canadians the way I do, this could happen.

And if you were literally shunned to death - then you’d be a died in the wool member. Not pleasant.


My next column features a recent early morning interview about prorogation (much coffee was involved) with Federal Liberal MP Glen Pearson, one of the last remaining Federal Liberals in SW Ontario.

Let it be known here, before the column is out (online Jan. 6), that he has unique views regarding PM Harper’s recent prorogation of Parliament.

(Try saying ‘ PM Harper’s recent prorogation of Parliament’ three times fast. If you can do it without stumbling, let me know. Maybe I can scrounge up some sort of prize - from the workshop. And it wouldn’t be a bag of sawdust... unless I’m really stuck.)

Here’s one thing Mr. Pearson said to me:

“Whatever reasons that have been offered for prorogation aren't good enough. The media has been unanimous in its condemnation of the tactic, and various university professors have viewed it as a diminishment of Parliament.  I wholeheartedly agree.”

You heard it here first.

And if you read the entire column you’ll hear it there second, along with other matters discussed during the interview.

Special note: Glen paid for coffee and refills, insuring I’ll talk to him again once he’s back from Sudan.

.

3 comments:

Greg Fowler said...

A Liberal talking about the diminishment of Parliament? C'mon, Gord! How about the diminishment of democracy? Like the way that area Liberals ignored the interference in my municipal election campaign? Maybe you can get Mr. Pearson to explain why Chris Bentley won't respond to my email requests for an investigation?

G. Harrison said...

Hi Greg,

Glen has an office in town, SW corner of Oxford and Maitland St. I bet he wouldn't mind if you popped in.

He'll be back from Sudan by Jan. 18.

GAH

Greg Fowler said...

I guess that's a "no."