Tuesday, January 12, 2010

London’s Weather: Pros and cons re a bit of fresh snow

I wanted 18 inches worth of fresh snow in December and at least 12 inches of snow cover that sticks around in January.

Not that I’m fussy. (Yes I am. Sorry, I digress).


["Fresh snow up to your neck. Good or bad?"]

Had it been 17 in December I would have been fine with that. Eleven in January - I’ll survive.

At present, I’m happy with the extra 1/2 inch or so that fell yesterday and last night. Thanks to the fresh covering I can tell that birds have found my feeder.


["Tracks from one bird and one cat": photos GAH]

(And if I could tell one set of footprints from another I would tell exactly what kind of bird and cat walked across my deck this morning. But I can’t. However, I will guess. Cardinals or chickadees, and the gray cat that lives two doors down).

The downside of the fresh layer - it has buried all the seeds I’ve scattered on the ground over the last few days to help birds (and apparently one cat and more than a few squirrels) find the feeder.


["Maybe I could string another line too"]

My solution - add another feeder to the clothesline and keep my camera ready for action.

***

Cardinals and chickadees visited yesterday at one feeder. Grandson Ollie seemed pretty impressed as we observed them through a nearby window.

Perhaps a third visitor will appear today (not including the gray cat and pesky squirrels).

Is your feeder working well?

.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Yes, but only sparrows.

G. Harrison said...

London is world capitol for cardinals. I'll send some your way.

GAH