Sunday, January 17, 2010

Searching for a glass of fine beer in London: Glass 2

[Posts inspired by BEERS OF THE WORLD by David Kenning]

Generally, when I arrive in Fenelon Falls to visit my twin grand-daughters and their parents, I stop first at the local LCBO so my wife can select a bottle of wine for supper and I can pick up a few cans of beer for afternoon high tea.

Fenelon Falls and cosmopolitan area are not words usually found in the same sentence and the LCBO is fairly small compared to London standards, so I don't usually find much beyond ordinary quaffs while searching for a fine glass beer.

That said, this weekend I found two kinds of beer new to me, and I'm enjoying 1/3 of a glass now. (I felt I had to share).

Today’s selection - Boris, The Alsatian Flask, Saverne, France

Price - $2.00 for 500 ml


The can says - Best before 05/2011 (I got in well under the wire). "I go where I want to, because only freedom motivates my steps and my thoughts. I am not afraid... yada yada... I pledge allegiance to only one flag: My own." biereboris.com

What I say - My gosh. What's all this talk about freedom and flags?

I say, less writing, more millilitres. And the font was small and I had to squint. But, that could just be me.

I like the art work on the beer can and owe readers my own close up photo when I can find the right cord for my camera.

I will say the aroma is not remarkable or lovely, but it's familiar, like other pilsners.

It has a light, clean taste at first sip, and no harsh after-taste.

Now, I might buy it again, but only in the summertime. And a 50% off sign would really help. For beer experts, what I'm trying to say is something like this: Bondi's is like Godfather's pizza. I'll buy it again as long as a Bondi's pizza parlour is more than 10 miles away.

Because I prefer hoppy, fragrant ales, I wouldn't likely ever put Boris in my Top Fifty, even though my son said it was delicious "because it's beer" and my daughter-in-law said it was good.

Final thoughts - Boris was not mentioned in BEERS OF THE WORLD, and I doubt it will be a big seller in Fenelon Falls. I'll check next time I'm in town - if I remember.

Have you had a glass of Boris? Thots?

***

Last week’s selection: Glass 1 - Bass Imported Pale Ale

Have you enjoyed a fine glass of beer lately? Which one(s)?

.

No comments: