Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Grab your helmet and pull together, Canada

It’s time for Canadians to put regional and national rivalries aside.

So what if my Leafs are occasionally laughable, the Oilers are in the toilet and Quebec is still heart-broken because the Nordiques left town?

It's time for us all to strap on the hockey gear from the basement and hit the collective chesterfield as one.


["Prediction 1 - Canada 6, Germany 1": photo GAH]

When the puck is dropped to begin our game against Germany I want to hear an encouraging roar sweep across the land.

When Heatley skates across the German blue line during his first shift I want the Germans to feel the weight of Canada on their chests.

Yes.

When the German goalie faces his first shot I want him to start sweating and then swear that it’s going to be a long, long game because he feels all of Canada is rolling.


["Prediction 2 - I won't get called up for the 3rd period"]

And when Luongo traps his first shot I want him to sense there are millions of Canadians stuffed behind him between the pipes - all wearing wide grins and suitable helmets.

So, Canada.

Grab your helmet.

***

Please click here to read my thoughts about Canada's loss to the US.

.

No comments: