Monday, February 15, 2010

In The Workshop: Busy slow days ahead

I certainly spend more hours in my workshop during warmer months but, in some ways, I pack more into the hours at my workbench in the winter.

I still feel I’m keeping busy because I have several bowls to turn: Next up, a few hours at the lathe with a piece of birch for a shallow penny bowl, i.e., a place in which to store loose change or penny candy.


["A piece of birch for the lathe - no hurry"]

I have other projects too, e.g., finished birdhouses to store in The Annex, two more to coat with linseed oil and a touch of maple stain.


["Finished houses go to The Annex": photos GAH]

But I don’t feel the pressure as much as in the past to hurry hurry hurry. I sense time slows down in my shop, and an hour sometimes feels like it’s 90 minutes long.

Even longer.


["Ready to stain - slowly"]

I’m not certain why time slows down but I know it happens, and I’m grateful for the knowledge.

Though I may be standing at the bench with a hammer in hand I feel and enjoy each swing and when I reach for another nail I know I made the right choice recently - not to buy an air compressor and nail gun that was on sale at a ridiculous price.

Single, momentary thoughts about friends,family, ideas or ideals seem richer and more real when I’m busy going slow in the workshop.

I’m no expert, but in my opinion, everyone should have a wee workshop, or something very much like it.

***

Why does time slow down?

Is it an age thing? Something about the smell of cedar?

Please click here to see Jack Frost at play on the workshop window.

.

No comments: