Saturday, February 13, 2010

Live Small and Prosper: Darning socks will save me a fortune

In keeping with the new age of austerity I will continue to darn socks in 2010.

Though steady growth is forecast for the Canadian economy (link to article from Feb. 12 issue of London Free Press: Sorry, no news on the outlook for our environment), Ontario’s manufacturing sector “will suffer for years as American consumers (chastened and shackled) clamp down on spending and reduce large personal debts...”

So needle and thread will come in handy for many more years.

After tackling a job the other night that saw me sew up a torn pad inside my hockey pants (sans thimble - I live my life on the edge, these two worn heels should be a snap.


["Worn heels should be a snap": photo gah]

I’ll save a fortune.

***

Are you making an effort to save money, e.g. put a bit away in an old sock?

Using a needle and thread?

.

2 comments:

Lost Motorcyclist said...

I do not use needle and thread, because the savings on socks would be more than cancelled by trips in the ambulance.

But I have discovered there are lots of ways to extend the life of a sock. 1. Turn the sock upside down. 2. wear two pair of socks with offset holes. 3. buy a lot of socks exactly the same so that when you lose or put a hole in one, you can substitute one other sock. (losing single socks is a big problem for me quite apart from repairing holes.)

My wife, on the other hand does repair socks, sweaters and jeans with a needle and thread safely, but she does not care for my methods much.

G. Harrison said...

Very good opening line, LM. You might benefit from a thimble.

I particularly like option 3. I don't even care if they're different colours.

Cheers,

GAH