Thursday, February 11, 2010

Searching For a Glass of Fine Beer: KLB Raspberry Wheat

In my opinion, the enjoyment and appreciation of beer changes depending on the circumstances.

For example, there are times when I would give a beer a score of 75 out of 100 because I have just finished a half marathon on a hot day, am tired, wanting to sit and stay immobile for an hour or more, and after finding a comfortable chair am handed said cold beer and offers of more where that came from, when it really only rates a score of 54.


["Hmmm. I like it. Cranky likes it too": photo GAH]

Not that I’ve been known to score beers out of 100, and don’t plan to anytime soon.

But, and I’m sure many readers have been there, if a bucket of 54-style beer arrived at my comfortable chair with a platter of chicken wings and sweet potato fries and I was sitting next to a piano and handed a songbook along with the encouragement to sing along as loudly as I liked and informed the total bill would only come to $8, then I’m the kind of guy who would say, “You had me at bucket.”

I only share the above because I tried my first can of Raspberry Wheat beer from Kawartha Lakes Brewing Co. as the second half of last Sunday’s Super Bowl was about to start and the Saints were still in the game.

So, I might be unreasonably positive about the beer.

That being said, here are the facts.


["Another fine beer from Kawartha Lakes Brewing Co.": photos GAH]

A 473 ml can of KLB Raspberry Wheat costs $2.40 and comes in at 4.5% alc./vol.

It’s one of the beers that made Peterborough famous, along with Quaker Oats, though brewed by Amsterdam Brewing Co., Toronto.

When I popped the can I smelled raspberries quite plainly, and was reminded of how much I’d enjoyed another fruity beer years ago for the first time, i.e., a St. Ambroise apricot wheat ale, at Mitsy's Sister, a wee pub on Queen St. W., Toronto.

As I poured I was attracted to the reddish orange colour but noticed the lovely head disappeared fairly quickly.

This ain’t a stout , I said to myself as Drew Brees fired a bullet toward a Saints receiver.

I took my first generous sip.

Son of a Gunderson, I said. What they say on the can (‘A perfect balance of German hops and Belgium wheat and pure raspberry essence gives this beer it’s signature aroma and flavour’) is true. I taste raspberry, and it's good.


["Yes, I'd buy it again"]

It wasn't a heavy raspberry taste at all, and I felt the glassful would be very quaffable.

After my second sip I knew I’d enjoy the full can. And I did.

Not only do I recommend others give it a try but know I’ll buy it again myself.

I’d say two cans on the back deck in the fall would be perfect.

***

Click here to read a bit about Liberty Ale from San Francisco, and visit ‘Searching for a fine beer’ in the lower right hand margin to link to others.

Cheers.

.

4 comments:

Lost Motorcyclist said...

You are a very harsh beer critic. You finish a half marathon on a hot day, and the beer rates only 75 out of 100? If that was me, I would give it 101/100 even if it was horse p*** (i.e. American beer)

G. Harrison said...

You're very close to the truth, LM

GH

Lost Motorcyclist said...

Oh yes, I forgot to say "watered down".

G. Harrison said...

LM, I just got back from hockey and sampled Kaiser from Austria. $1.85 for 500 ml. It's a 54. It would have to be a scorcher on my back deck before it got close to 101, but as the mood changes... who knows.

Keep well

GAH