Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Zoom w a View: From the workshop at 5.8 cents per kwh

Day- and night-time temperatures will remain below zero for another week (so I’m told by a local weather expert) so the time spent inside my partially insulated workshop will be chilly.

The window will likely be covered with frost again today.


And the old Willard thermometer will struggle to reach 60 degrees.


Yesterday I adjusted to the cold temps by wearing gloves while sanding my latest project, a white cedar box in which to store flyers on the porch.


I didn’t have to wear the gloves while carving or sanding a project on the lathe because the heater sits nearby (chugging out warmth at 5.8 cents per kwh until April 30th; thereafter, at mid-peak workshop times, i.e., 11 a.m. - 5 p.m., it will cost 8.0 cents per kwh).

["The penny bowl will cost more than a nickel, for sure": photos by GAH]

***

Yes, the cost of doing business will go up in May if the sun doesn’t come out!

Is your hydro bill going up due to Mr. Smart Meter?

.

2 comments:

Lost Motorcyclist said...

We are already paying a higher rate, due to getting green energy from Bullfrog Power Co. But surprisingly, although the rate doubled, our bill did not go up very much because there are overhead expenses, and transmission expenses that are a significant part of the bill which did not go up when we switched to Bullfrog. So I hope they continue to remain fixed when we go to variable rate electricity.

G. Harrison said...

Excellent comment, Robert. My sister buys from Bullfrog and began to conserve hydro to offset the higher cost.

I think, as you mentioned, the stable costs will help mask the increased rates.

Let me know what happens with your May and June bills , under new rates.

GAH