Saturday, March 27, 2010

At The Londoner: Earth Hour editorial makes a lot of sense and cents

I don’t refer to The Londoner, my city’s community newspaper very often because it would sound self-serving, and if there’s one word I don’t want to appear on my gravestone it’s self-serving.

(Please click here to read my weekly column. Okay, sorry, I’ll stop.)

As well, I don’t want firebug on my gravestone, but that’s another long (though rather exciting) story.

The editorial this week by Don Biggs, however, ended with a very interesting paragraph.

And I quote:


“Imagine the positive impact we would have on the environment, our health and our social well-being if we did this (turned off the lights and many other appliances) for just a half hour every night. Or at the very least, turn off the boob tube and walk around the neighbourhood every night after supper.

(Allow me to interject just this once: “... after supper and the exciting conclusion of Coronation Street” would have suited me better, but I’m not the editor).

“The incidence of heart disease, diabetes and other cardiovascular afflictions would decrease, and we will be doing our part to save the environment.”

Makes sense and cents, doesn’t it?

.

2 comments:

bobbie said...

It really does make sense. Glad you are calling attention to Earth Hour.

G. Harrison said...

Hi bobbie,

thanks for visiting. I intend to walk more after supper and might even get back to running. I need the fresh air!

Cheers,

GAH