Monday, March 22, 2010

Letter to the Editor: So, how do I get Canadian-made mittens?

I’m not sure if the following letter to The London Free Press (Mar. 18) is ironic, satirical or loudly mocking:

“Foreign-made products symbol of capitalism”

Regarding the letter, Made in Canada matters!

I am astounded at the amount of people who are surprised that our Olympic merchandise is manufactured in places like Vietnam and China.



["Can I knit them myself?": photo link]

When things like that need to be mass-produced and turn a huge profit, people here should acknowledge that poor people in developing countries will be making it.

They work hard so we can have nice possessions.

That’s called capitalism.

Ryan N., St. Thomas


The letter also makes me wonder how I can get my hands on a pair of red, Canadian-made mittens.

Will I have to knit them myself?

Can a guy my age learn to knit?

.

2 comments:

Jesse said...

Of course you can!

http://images.diamondyarn.com/catalog/pattern/pdf/100219/MAPLE_LEAF_MITTENS__3_.pdf

G. Harrison said...

Hi jesse,

thanks for the encouragement and link. my lovely wife said she'd teach me to knit as well. i didn't think she'd be so brave!

Cheers,

GAH