Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Live Small and Prosper: Things going North ($$$) Pt 2

I have the feeling that monthly expenses for North Americans will be going north for many years to come.

I suppose if I valiantly did research everyday into all the things that make us debtors in our own land I’d be one busy boy, so I won’t.

I’ll just keep a list for people of the province of Ontario and Canada as major bills come to my attention.

Please realize, of course, that I don’t always pay attention to any one thing for long.

1. Canada’s national debt will pass $620 billion in 2014, according to Canada’s Dept. of Finance.

2. Hydro bills will rise once we switch to the new ‘smart meter’ rates.

3. Oil recently past $81 US per barrel. That can’t be good.

4. Canada’s average household debt to income ratio just went from 140 to 145 percent (predicted to be soon at 160).

5. Experts predict that higher interests are on the way, so mortgages and lines of credit will cost Canadians more.


6. The HST (Hiked Sales Tax) will be starting in July and many shopping purchases and monthly bills will cost Canadians more.

7. Ontario’s provincial debt is approaching $200 billion. I’ll be out of town when it happens so someone please pop a balloon for me.

8. A copy of Batman’s debut in a 1939 comic book sold recently for $1.075 million US. So, if you’re into rare comics (and I say, why not), start saving up.

Okay, that’s enough good news for one day.

***

Did I miss anything else going North ($$$)

Is it too late to buy a piggy bank?

Is it too late to add the following? Reduce spending, pay down debt, save money for the tough times ahead.

.

No comments: