Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Birdhouse Spotting: Mennonite property, Walker Rd., Aylmer

When the weather warmed up after lunch yesterday I warmed up the motorcycle.

I had Port Burwell in mind, took the back way, and found several purple martin houses (various ages and sizes) at the Miller’s property (Mennonites) on Walker Rd., east of Aylmer, north of Highway 3.


[“This is the oldest box; not on a pulley system; repairs go untended”]


[“Clean out in underway; on a pulley system”]


[“Same size as other units but with an oblong hole”]


[“The smallest box, with only one entrance”]


All photos by GAH, April 19, 2010

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I like the idea of hinges on the sides to open. Never really noticed any birdhouses with clean outs like that before.

G. Harrison said...

Hi Tufa Girl,

The only other one like the big boxes shown was also a Mennonite (Amish) design, also on a pulley system.

I have an octagonal design in mind for my next big project. (Photo shown earlier; I'll look for the link.

Cheers,

GH