Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Fun and Fitness: New way to measure healthy body size

Under the heading of ‘Keeping Fit,’ a topic that’s near and dear to my heart, C. Castagna writes about a new way to measure healthy body size in the Aug. 19 issue of The London Free Press.

Out with BMI (Body Mass Index, in with MWL (Maximum Weight Limit? Please read for yourself.

[Please click here to link to article and MWL height/weight chart]

But it makes sense to me.

At 5 ft. 5 in. tall, under MWL proposed by Prof. G. Fernandez, my maximum weight should be 155 pounds.

While marathoning (1995 - 2006), my weight was usually 140 - 145 pounds, most of it made up of blue twisted steel - insert laugh track here - and I looked under weight.


Now, I’m slightly over 155, know I could lose a few pounds (there’s one pair of jeans that just doesn’t feel right) and am trying to do so by walking where I can, riding an exercise bike (I’ve upped the mileage goal per week) and mixing fun with a regular fitness activity, i.e., hockey with the boys twice per week.

I'm motivated because...

... the majority of Canadian seniors (age 65 plus) have 5 prescriptions or more

... 37 cents out of every dollar my home province (Ontario) spends now goes to health care

... a vast number of prescriptions are tied to poor lifestyle choices and diet.

I think trying to hit the MWL target sounds like a good idea.

Good luck with your own fun and fitness goals.

And if you’re holding a KFC Double Down - put it down and back away slowly.

***

Does the MWL chart seem to make sense to you?

.

No comments: