Tuesday, April 13, 2010

I Ask You: How could I not stop?

Have you seen bumper stickers that say - This Car Stops for Yard Sales?

Yeah, that’s me.

But on the way home yesterday with the back of the car filled with birdhouse supplies - fallen branches and two posts (one was a 10-footer and was one inch away from fitting entirely inside my Civic) - I spotted something better than a yard sale.

I saw eight, clean louvered doors sitting outside a house a few blocks from my own.


["One door is about to be taken apart"; photos GAH]

You might ask, what does a brilliant birdhouse builder want with louvered doors?

I’m glad you asked.

Do you know how much effort is involved in cutting thin pieces of wood that could be used as slats or shingles on a birdhouse roof?

Lots.


["A pile of slats in a fraction of the time!"]

Though the car was loaded I found a way to fit two doors atop the seats.

Before loading I spoke to the home owner (wanted to make sure they were not intended for someone else) and as I tucked the last one through the passenger window I noticed the homeowner looking at the remainder of the pile.

He had a studious look on his face, so I asked, “Do you want them back? It’s okay if you do.”

"No, you’re fine. But I like your birdhouse idea.”


["Coincidentally, the slats are a good match for my latest birdhouse"]

Yes, I spilled the beans. I couldn’t help myself.

“Maybe I’ll set one aside and try it myself,” he said before walking back to his yard work.

Hey, the more people who build birdhouses, the better, in my opinion.

.

No comments: