Friday, April 2, 2010

In the Workshop: Birds and birdhouses keep me busy

The birds disappeared from the feeder early in March, perhaps because the weather was so nice.

They returned in the last two weeks as temperatures cooled, so I’m going to leave the feeders out for another two weeks, and see what happens. With the feeders closer to the ground, will they return in the same numbers?


["Feeders are off the clothesline and onto the deck": photos GAH]

Milder temperatures made me think about building more birdhouses and I’ve drawn out the face of my next model. With a 3/4 inch opening I hope to attract songbirds, e.g., warblers, wrens, and any other bird that wants to cheer up the neighbourhood with a morning song.


["The finished house will be no bigger than my coffee mug"]

Once my company leaves for home my neighbours will hear my saws working overtime. And shortly thereafter, perhaps they’ll hear pleasant tunes from wee visitors in the trees and new houses.

.

No comments: