Tuesday, April 13, 2010

In The Workshop: A good idea - from the page to the workbench

During a coffee stop in St. Mary’s on Sunday I sketched my next brilliant birdhouse idea.

Ideas flow fast and furious sometimes, especially while birdhouse spotting on my motorcycle. It might be the fresh air blowing through what’s left of my hair. Or the caffeine.


["Yeah, maybe the caffeine": photos GAH]

I sketched and thought, a duplex or triplex with a feeder off to the side and placed atop a wooden stand will look good in my garden. Heck, in anybody’s garden. Oh yeah, I’ll make a fortune.


["Thames Park is filled with fallen branches"]

Though years away from making anything even mildly resembling a fortune, I am now a few steps closer to transferring the idea from the page in my notebook to a birdhouse on my workbench.


["Old branches don't look very interesting - yet"]

I picked up branch poles and two posts yesterday morning and by supper time had cut and sanded 90 per cent of the pieces for three duplexes.


["Rescued lumber - usually bone dry - cuts and smells better than new boards"]

Soon, the bits and pieces will look somewhat like my original sketch.

***

Yesterday morning, after rescuing two posts that were going to waste behind an old building I drove home.

On the way something caught my attention lying at the side of the road.

Stay tuned.

.

No comments: