Wednesday, May 26, 2010

I’ll say ‘sail on’ to my father at Crystal Crescent Beach

Crystal Crescent Beach Provincial Park is located about 20 - 30 km. south west of Halifax and, according to my map of the area, looks like the perfect spot from which to set adrift a wee boat for my dad’s final voyage on the Atlantic ocean.


["I filled the boat (w ashes) using a scoop from my dad's old barn"]

It will be perfect if, once I set the boat adrift and say ‘sail on,’ waves don’t instantly send it back to shore.

It will be perfect if the boat falls in step with the Gulf Stream and heads off toward Scotland and not Peggy’s Cove, i.e., around back behind me and in the wrong direction entirely.


And though I don’t know how close I’ll be able to get to Pennant Point, the pointiest and, again according to my map, best spot to say ‘sail on,’ I’ll give it a good try and hope for the best.


I think that’s all one can do unless there’s a boat for hire somewhere nearby and the fee isn’t an arm and a leg. In my case, I’ll need the arm and leg to get me home safely on the motorcycle.

It will also be a perfect day if the boat doesn’t immediately sink to the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean.


My dad wanted to be buried at sea but I think he was hoping for a bit more adventure than spending two seconds near the shores of Crystal Crescant Beach!

***

The clock is ticking, I’m getting excited (though very busy at the same time), and after I apply four - five coats of paint and marine varnish to the boat, the wee thing might sink just from the weight of the paint and varnish alone.

But it won’t leak!!

.

No comments: