Saturday, May 29, 2010

Pennies. Pennies Pt 1: Does it make sense to stop making the cent?

My wife occasionally says to me, a penny for your thoughts.

She’s been doing it since we started dating in 1969. (So far she owes me $2.89. I bet I’ll never see it).

She’ll have to stop the endearing habit if Finance Minister Jim Flatulence halts production on the Canadian penny or one cent coin.

Sure, other countries have dropped the penny, e.g., Sweden, New Zealand and Australia. But does that mean we have to do so as well?

I say no.

Just because there are 30 billion pennies in circulation - worth $300 million - and $298 million are stashed in piggy banks and dresser drawers and woolen socks under the bed across our fair land, doesn’t mean a thing to me.

I say keep ‘em rolling.


["Give me pennies or put up a fight"]

Just because the Royal Canadian Mint punches out 500 million new ones each year - worth $5 million - at a cost of $7.5 million, I say keep punchin.’

They’re a bargain at twice the price.

And any second now I'll tell you why.

***

Pennies. Pennies - to be continued.

.

No comments: