Thursday, June 10, 2010

Halifax: On the way there and back Pt 2

Day 3

I couldn't post on Day 2 because the computer in Trois Rivieres couldn't read my translated password for some reason.

That's right. I murder the French language in oral and typed form.

However, the computer in Riviere-du-Loup understands anglais (the way I type it at any rate) so I can share a few words before I walk the streets to find a pub with a couple of Unibrew offerings on tap.

Today`s trip, 385 km. long, was generally excellent or far better. If you haven't driven the south shore of the St. Lawrence R., on highway 132, plan to do so as soon as you can save up about $1,000.

What you save by staying in hostels or cheap motels you'll easily and gladly spend on freshly baked pasteries fit for a king. I'm no king, of course, but while Ol' King Cole wasn't looking, I picked up some of the finest in Maragouche (sp.?) at 4 p.m. and ate for supper just an hour ago.

While heating up water for Mr. Noodle soup at 1 p.m., I talked with a cyclist who had come from the U.S. and was making his way east to Halifax, then south to Florida, in the hopes of finding the friend to whom he loaned his boat. Interesting soup-time converstion to say the least. After he left I took another dozen pictures of the St. Lawrence R. and spotted another old cottage I'd like to buy. (Dear Wife: That makes 12,450 so far, and I haven't reached the East Coast yet!)

Today was marked by two special events.

First:

I met a couple driving from Halifax to Toronto (we're both about at the half-way point of our journies) and we both shared the reasons for our trips.

The husband was very taken with my idea to set my father's remains upon the sea. He has his own father's remains at home and can't figure out what to do.

"Well, had you told me that a month ago I might have left some room," I said. He smiled, and I knew I had started him to thinkin'.

His wife was so appreciative of the tale she gave me a croissant, along with directions to the bakery in Maragouche where it and my supper were found.

Second:

I didn`t get lost today as badly as on the first two days. I made it all the way to Riviere du Loup before I got tangled up in one of the ugly webs caused by circular intersections.

And best of luck trying to get help. I asked two men for assistance and they spoke only German. They`d been lost themselves for seven weeks, or months, as far as I could tell from their hand gestures.

Time for that walk.

Cheers.

.

No comments: