Sunday, June 6, 2010

Halifax Bound: Three more sleeps

I know it’s late.

After I closed up shop at Gathering on the Green I took my helpful, patient wife out for supper.

Once we arrived home, I went to the workshop to solve a problem.

The wee boat that contains my dad’s ashes lists to the right and is a bit heavy at the bow.

I hastily assembled materials I felt might help me set things straight in 30 minutes or less.


I.e., steel strap, a metal weight (unknown metal, unknown weight), a pack of nails.


Nuts and bolts, a rusty bolt from the CPR line south of Espanola and a strip of black walnut.


I thought, what material would best serve the purpose of adding weight to the back and bottom of the SS Silver Walnut and survive the long trip across the Atlantic Ocean?

What would you select?


["Black walnut is heavy and should last for several years in salt water": photos GH]

As you can see, I went with the black walnut for sentimental reasons - a strip on each side of the existing keel - and added a liberal coat of Super Spar Varnish before turning out the lights.

On Sunday afternoon I’ll throw the Walnut into my neighbour’s pool to see if I’ve solved the problem.

Does it stand a chance?

.

No comments: