Saturday, June 26, 2010

The Halifax Diaries: Day 4 - Does Saint-Louis-du-Ha! Ha! warrant a pit stop?

I mean... a full pit stop, including bathroom break and a stop at Tim Horton’s?

Well, I didn’t think so at the time, as I biked along highway 185 in southern Quebec toward Edmunston, New Brunswick.

Here’s all I know or believe about Saint-Louis-du-Ha! Ha!, as recorded in my dairy:

Day 4 - Friday, June 11

“Saint-Louis-du-Ha! Ha! is a real town. It should end w 4 Ha! Has! to get into the spirit of the name.”

After Edmunston I travelled through Grand Falls and selected highway 105 to take me south along the west side of the St. John River.

Destination - Fredericton, New Brunswick

Estimated mileage - 405 km.

Gord’s mileage - 425 km.

Why the 20 km. difference?

The 105 was a winding road that took me the long way around many a hill, dale, rock and tree. Thankfully I found a small bridge to the east side of the river and shortly thereafter picked up a better road that led toward a great dairy bar, the longest covered bridge in the free world and the Trans-Canada Highway.

I made good time, making up for the bad, once on the Trans-Can.

Once in Fredericton I enjoyed eating supper at Isaac’s Way restaurant immensely and reading a story my dad wrote many years ago.

From the diary re supper:

“I’m trying Picaroon’s offerings (local craft beers). 1. Wheat beer - mild. 2. Irish red - pleasant surprise. 3. Best Bitter - excellent, esp. w grilled pork tenderloin and red potatoes. Wow. More food than I could handle.”

And concerning dad’s story:

“Lots of detail re what Dad saw and remembered (while aboard the Silver Walnut in 1940s), e.g., flying fish, porpoises, a hot foot for a poor tar (sailor). reminds me that he and I are some alike; we like our journeys and watch for and enjoy certain details of life - fun w friends, and nature’s gifts to us.”


[“Lac Temiscouata, just past Saint Louis du Ha! Ha!”: photos GH]


[“Ah, what a lovely bridge. Hope it leads me to a better road.”]


[“Carl’s Dairy Bar. Buy shares if they ever come up for sale.”]


[“The longest covered bridge in the entire world, so they say.”]


[“Isaac’s Way, Fredericton. Order the pork tenderloin and Best Bitters.”]


***

Today, I have to admit, I saw a lot of beautiful country while riding 20 extra kilometers.

.

No comments: