Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Halifax: On the way there and back Pt 1

I left before 10 a.m. this morning and was sailing through Drayton before noon. Lovely country up there north of Stratford, Ontario.

Why go so far north when my day's destination is Kingston?

Because the 401 is pretty busy and the northern route is just plain pretty. Why, I even stopped in a small hamlet called Welcome. Sesame Snaps were only 49 cents a pack. Pretty welcoming as far as I'm concerned. (The same packet is $14.99 at a service centre on the 401.)

I boarded toe 401, however, at Port Hope and made it to my hostel in Kingston safely, no more than 10 - 15 minutes from my scheduled landing time.

The bike ran like a champion. (Oil changes work!)

Impressions -

First: When I bike to Port Bruce or Long Point I say to myself, Ontario is so beautiful. When I go farther afield, like today and this week, I say to myself, Canada is beautiful - and it's huge!

Second: The bike is top heavy because of all I'm carrying, but handles like a dream.

Third: County Rd. 8, to and through Uxbridge, is a rare treat. It's my favourite road of the day.

Fourth: I should have listened to my wife and packed my red longjohns. The wind was cool this morning. I would have changed into them at the side of the road had they been on board. (Really, if someone sees a bit of my skinny behind as they pass in a car going 125 km, per hour, I'm not going to worry about it.) Maybe I'll wear my pj bottoms under my jeans tomorrow morning.

Expenses so far have been minimal because I took a thermos of coffee for break-time and cooked one of those really, really delicious 90-second packs of microwaveable stew for supper. And $1.11 for two packets of Sesame Snacks is nothing.

However, I'm off to join the circus now. The Kingston Brewing Co., five blocks away, has a glass of Dragon's Breath with my name on it.

Yes, my expenses are about to rise.

4 comments:

Katherine Krige said...

Enjoy that Dragon's Breath. Hope it warms up along the way for you.

G. Harrison said...

Hi K,

I just had the one glass - it`s real ale, all right. However, I`m in Trois Rivieres tonight and my chores are done! Maybe a Maudite, or two.

Keep well.

gh

Sonny Drysdale said...

Small world, Gord.

We were just in Port Hope's 'Tim Hortons' just off the 401 on Saturday to refill on French Vanilla Cap's. Incidently, I can highly recommend their washrooms.

If you're making good time and true to your itinerary, it turns out that you arrive in Halifax the same day as Andy Kim.

Considering the emotionally-overwhelming reason for your entire trip, you may feel the need for something happy and giddy.

Andy is playing at someplace called the Schooner Room on Saturday at 8:00.

Tickets are probably in the $25 or $30 range.

But come to think of it, that's pretty well the same cost of a 'Radio Box' containing transistor radios that you very well may have heard Andy Kim on about thirty years or so ago.

Small world, indeed. Give Andy my regards.

gharrison said...

hi Sonny,

i`M ON SCHEDULE AND SHOULD HIT HALIFAX BY 6 P.M. that leaves me time to find the schooner room. wouldn`t that be a great way to spend the evening?

keep well.

gh