Monday, June 14, 2010

Halifax: On the way there and back Pt 4

Day 7

Though yesterday seemed like one long hike in heavy boots and I fell asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow, I woke up this morning feeling refreshed. The stiff breeze from the harbour may have helped.

By 9:39 a.m. I was touring the boardwalk along the harbour on my way to the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic. I only stopped 2,500 times to take pictures.

(Warning: Once I'm home guess what I'll be posting on the blog for the next 3 years?)

Once inside the museum I perked up even more.

I saw an amazing small craft called a goose boat. A hunter would propel it by turning a hand crank. Then I suppose, once he had approached a flock of birds, he could shot the living daylights out of them, then head home for supper and a night of stuffing pillows. Yes, that's the life for me.

I also so the interior of an old fishing troller, with four bunks suited for men no more than 4 ft. 8 inches tall. It was the sweetest cabin I have ever seen. I want one. I may turn my shed into that cabin. Though I'd have to add a few inches to my bunk.

Those two items were worth the price of admission, but there was so much more. (Yes, I have the pictures to prove it).

Later, I stepped outside to find a place to eat, and while touring my options along the waterfront I heard an announcement re a whale spotting boat tour.

Sign me up, I thought. Forget about the cost, Gordie. You sold birdhouses for this very purpose.

Away I went after gulkping down a hot dog and $2.50 bottle of apple juice. (Good combo? Not bad).

Time spent on the water has never been a waste of time for me. Not once in my life have I stepped off a boat onto dry land and thought, now that was a waste of my time.

Impressions:

When I consider the size of Ontario I say to myself, I'll never have to leave this province. Around every corner is another adventure.

When I consider Canada I say, my gosh, it's huge. How will I ever see it all?

When I consider the Atlantic Ocean (we motored straight out of Halifax for over an hour) I am in awe of the size of this planet we call home. Good grief, we're a small people on a gigantic globe.

What a lovely time we all had, catching lobster and crabs and feeding the gulls, though not one whale made an appearance.

No problem. I'll be back.

I want to see more of the East Coast of Canada and the U.S. I want to ride a boat out even farther next time, maybe on a troller with wee bunks just a few feet away from the galley and wood burning stove. I know what I''ll be looking for in a craft, to say the least.

Tomorrow is turn around day. I aim my nose toward Frederiction at about 9 a.m.

I'll ikss posting unless some kind soul lends me their laptop for 15 minutes.

So, until Wednesday, keep your line in the water.

.

No comments: