Tuesday, June 29, 2010

In the Workshop: My motto - don’t throw anything out

You can likely understand why I have such a motto.

I collect or rescue scrap lumber and turn my findings into birdhouses.

(Why birdhouses? They’re easier to build than shelves. Less risk too that a birdhouse will ever fall on my head.)


["Three different pieces of barnboard became two rustic birdhouses": photos GH]

Sometimes I have to think long and hard about my materials. Will this go with that? That with this? What to do with this? That?


["Bits from the scrap box become a bench and perch."]

Eventually, something comes to mind. On rare occasions, it will be a brilliant idea.


["Can you spot the minor (though brilliant) differences in this one?"]

For example, an odd bit of cedar will become a bench. Another bit of barnboard will become a perch.

A beer cap will serve as an outside light or hubcab (or facsimile).


["Right. The stool and hubcap came from different distilleries."]

A cork becomes a stool.

Now, if your basement or garage is getting a bit crowded and you don’t know what to do... may I suggest birdhouses?

***

I met a fellow two years ago who made birdhouses from the broken decks of skateboards.

Very cool. (One man’s trash is another man’s roof on a birdhouse).

.

No comments: