Wednesday, June 30, 2010

In the Workshop: Old-fashioned oil adds a richer ($$$) look

The following three phrases prove - dramatically (and we all need a bit of drama in our lives by Wednesday) - I am indeed an aging boomer:

1. “It was good to see you again. Give me your street address and I’ll write you a letter sometime.”

(Yes, I still write letters - neatly too).


[“The two on the left, which have a single coat of linseed oil, look richer in colour, in my humble opinion.”: photos GH]

2. “I banged my head this morning, smelled burnt toast and remembered my first phone number. 494-J. Call me.”


[“The same wood was used on each birdhouse”]

3. “It’s time to add double-boiled linseed oil to a few birdhouses.”


[“I think the one on the right looks better. Don't you?”]

Yup. Getting older. But, in spite of that, I like being a boomer.

Now, back to the linseed oil bit. It has to be double-boiled with a touch of maple stain added. I’ll tell you why.


[“White cedar will weather to a grey colour, but I like the oil and maple touch”]

Raw cedar looks great after a few years of weathering. So natural. But with a coat of linseed oil the wood will last another 4,000 years (this is a rough estimate only and I have no living relatives who can verify the statement) and look the richer for it.


[“The colour of the trim - w oil - really jumped up a notch or two. Brilliant.”]

We all also want the flax seed industry to remain alive too, don’t we? (Linseed oil comes from flax seed and flax seed is an important part of Red River cereal and - on this green planet, I swear - there is nothing better for you after you finish your paper route on a cold winter’s morning, than Red River cereal.

I've also heard 'flax seed' and 'nature's toothbrush' used in the same sentence. Nuff said.

***

Tell me if you’ve found a better natural oil to put on a birdhouse.

And raise your hand if you have Red River cereal in your kitchen cupboard.

.

No comments: