Thursday, June 3, 2010

It Strikes Me Funny: BP oil disaster vs conservation - who wins?

As some of you know, I throw spaghetti against the wall here at my blog and occasionally something sticks - and gets turned into my weekly column in the Londoner, Canada’s most prestigious community newspaper.

(I’ve been told by one of my sisters that I have much to do with the prestigiousness of the paper and I don’t even know what that means. Does it have something to do with abuse of deadlines?)

In today’s column I throw out some numbers related to the Gulf Oil disaster and suggest that BP’s less-than-adequate services wouldn’t even be required if people adjusted to two easy technological changes.

Instead of being partly responsible for blowing oil into the Gulf at the rate of 10 million barrels per year, North Americans could be conserving over 50 times as much oil with two fuel-efficiencies and kissing shoddy operators like BP good-bye.

Life ain’t easy but it could be easier.

.

No comments: