Sunday, August 1, 2010

Deforest City Blues: Is it the summer of your discontent?

Our local paper has printed a special report entitled ‘The summer of discontent.’ (July 31, London Free Press)

If the report turns into a series (and it easily could; there seems to be a lot for many people to moan and groan about these days, including my weekly column) I’ll follow it closely.

Not because I’m discontented. Quite the opposite. No guff.

For example, this morning, while I was reading the report, my wife said, “I’m ready (to go for coffee).”

I got up from my desk, grabbed my wallet (it was my turn to pay; that’s right, there was a blue moon last night), slipped into my sandals, headed toward the front sidewalk with my travel mug and my loving mate and hung a left.


["My turn to pay": photos GH]

Together we walked about three blocks toward the heart of Wortley Village and within minutes I was sipping dark roast very contentedly at a sidewalk table.


What contributed to my contentedness?

Please allow me to ramble:

We walked less than three blocks.

I had 20 bucks in my wallet so could order PB and J with my rye toast if I wanted.


["How much bread do we need?"]

There’s more where that came from because our monthly expenses are quite low.

Our expenses are low because we live in a small house (Yes, the roof needs repair $$$ but it’s a small roof).

The sky was a lovely shade of blue.

My mind turned to motorcycling.

I can afford motorcycling on a used bike because, not only are my monthly expenses quite low, but I can earn gas money by selling the odd birdhouse made from rescued lumber.


["A new Beemer in front of The Roaster. I can afford 'used'"]

Life is good. My lifestyle is affordable. Debt doesn't depress me. (Well, not my debt at any rate).

I chatted with a few friends and neighbours along the way.

I wake up with a grateful attitude every morning.

My wife and kids are sweethearts.

And, finally, tomorrow it’s my wife’s turn to pay.

So, what do I have to moan about?

I can’t think of anything off-hand.

But, man, I may be in the minority based on comments to our local paper!!

Link to Series: Please click here to read Discontent Pt. 2.

***

I have the feeling I missed a few things in my ramblings related to contentedness.

That may be due to my age. I’m getting older.

Wha...? I’m getting older?

.

No comments: