Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Somewhere in the deep past I lied

When I see a good birdhouse design I steal it, but not because I want to be immortal. (Well there is that, but not fully because of that, at any rate).

I call the following the GH cube house. It’s made of 1” thick white cedar and will last 40 years.


[“Immortality, here I come - slowly.”]


[“12 white cedar slabs per GH cube house”: photos GH]


[“Rescued red cedar fence posts start the immortality process”]


I stole the JR birdhouse design and modified it for my purposes, not just because I want my cube houses to dot the countryside long after I’m gone, but because it’s a historic (circa 1946), durable (originally made of teak, with an aluminum roof attached with chromium screws), and - in my opinion - beautiful design.

Who wouldn’t want to live in a teak or cedar cube? Really, think about it.

And while I’m bearing my secrets, I must say I lied a while back.


I said I was going to make four- and six-plexes out of rescued barn board and I ended up with four- and five-plexes.

One of the units got dropped in favour of a feeding area. I may even put a dish on top of the side porch to act as a bird bath.


My deepest apologies.

***

My conscience is now almost clear.

Should I write to the Griffin Pub and confess to bin diving?

.

No comments: