Friday, September 10, 2010

Deforest City Blues: Joe Fontana says he can do it all in one term

What?

Why would a mayoral candidate say that? I.e., something like ‘I can do all I want to do for Londoners in just four years.’

What is he? A magician?

Maybe he can bring taxes under control in four years and everyone (who likes that sort of platform) will be as contented as a Cheshire cat asleep in a bowl of warm butter.

I say, good luck with that.

Maybe he said something like ‘one term and I’m outta Dodge’ because it was the only way to get Cheryl Miller to be his campaign manager.

According to yesterday’s issue of The London Free Press, Ms. Miller said his one-term vow is the only reason she’s agreed to help him run.

She said, and I quote, “The thing that’s good about it is, you see a beginning and you see an end. People think being in government for a long time is good. I don’t.”

In other words, seeing the beginning of Joe and then his end in four years is a good thing?


["Is Joe as smart as a Smart meter?": photo GH]

Some people might think that Joe and Cheryl place little value in continuity. I think that if every city politician followed the same philosophy (“Four years and I'm gone. See ya!”) Deforest City would suffer from some lack of consistency and flow. So many citizens would never know who to call anymore when their garbage can is left in the middle of the street. (And trust me, it will be left in the middle of the street for some of you sometime this afternoon. Go check right now!)

Continuity, people. We need continuity.

In my opinion, seeing the end of a person’s career might very well be better after 8 years or 12 or 16.

And guess who would know when they want to see the end of Joe or Bob or Duke or Anne Marie or Carol better than a campaign manager? You got it - the voters.

Because Joe and Cheryl’s ‘one term and I’m outta Dodge - philosophy’ seems to smell of lack of continuity and commitment to the good cause of governing Deforest City, I will be placing my vote for mayor elsewhere.

You?

***

To the other candidates for mayor.

As you can see, I respond well to continuity and commitment.

I also respond well to chocolate-covered Oreos and Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups.

That’s just an FYI.

.

No comments: