Sunday, September 19, 2010

Do Canadians have clear goals for the good life?

I love small articles about survey results that relate to peoples’ goals.

A recent one started with the the headline ‘Canadians Dream’ and the subhead ‘Canadians have clear goals for the good life.’

I immediately thought, yes, Canadians do dream, but what do they dream about? I know what I dream about. Am I normal?

And do Canadians actually have clear goals for the good life - as far as I’m concerned? Because that’s what’s important around here.


["Are my ideas all wet?"]

And do we actually ever talk about what good healthy goals in life should look like?

(And, yes, I’ll get back to my series about my new economic plan and how deep the US is in debt and how associated problems could sink us all one day while we’re busy watching Coronation St. on TV or doing something else just as important but while we’re otherwise distracted from real life. Sorry, I digress).

The article began as follows:

“Home ownership, travel and early retirement are tops on Canadians' list of their dreams for the future, according to a new survey by HSBC Bank Canada.”

So, according to 1,001 adults aged 18 or older who were home when an employee of Research House called, most Canadians want to buy a home (61%), then leave it and go somewhere else for a few weeks (50%), then come back home and dream about leaving work (40%).

At the same time, “almost all respondents said they hope for financial stability one day.”

Now, I can understand all of the above. But knowing what I do (so do you) about growing personal, provincial, Canadian and American debt, we’re going about things all the wrong way, aren’t we?

Stay tuned.

***

Debt in just about every area (not all - my mayo jar savings program is working out) of our lives is going through the roof.

We may have goals for the good life but are they clear? Good? Reasonable?

.

No comments: