Sunday, October 3, 2010

I’m glad I found the research department

I stepped into the research room at The War Museum in Ottawa and walked toward the receptionist with a couple of questions.

“Do you have any information here about the SS Silver Walnut, from World War Two?”


[“A revealing passage re my dad’s convoy to Sicily, 1941 - 42”]

The woman immediately typed an entry into her computer.

“No,” she said.


[“A convoy prepares to leave Bedford Basin, Halifax”]

(Shite. My dad never knew what happened to his much-loved navy vessel after the war. I was hoping I could find out, even though he passed away in 2003).

“Well,could you direct me toward information about the Merchant Marine?”


[“SS Silver Walnut is not listed as lost, sunk or destroyed”]

Tippity-tippity-type.


[“My dad would have agreed with the title of this book”]

“Yes,” she said, then pressed Print, and left her desk to pick up the list of books I might be interested in finding.


[“One of my favourite posters. I must try to find one”]

I was soon at work.

Even play. The shelves of books could be moved slowly by turning a hand crank and I pretended to squish my wife between two large shelves.

.

That’s right. Good times were had by all.

We were on vacation, after all.

.

No comments: